Title says it all, really. At the end of last week, driven most of the way to madness by the wonky result of 6 months of patient crocheting, I cast on a new pair of socks (or a new sock, at least). Why socks when I hate them so much, you ask? It just seemed like a good idea at the time.
Admittedly this is going well and I’m not hating it quite so much as the plain vanilla pairs, but we shall see if that lasts along the foot and into the dreaded second sock.
Having only ever done toe-up socks with an afterthought heel, turning the heel was quite interesting and fun (and as everyone always says once they’ve done it, surprisingly easy), but overall I’m not sure top-down is for me. Halfway through the first sock and I’m already sad that there’ll probably be yarn left over and no way to knit the leg a bit higher. Or is there a way? Can I somehow cut off the cast on part and unravel from there and then knit the other way? I have no idea, that can go on the “to Google later” list.
Anyway, the other WIP this week is the ongoing saga of my Medley of Ridges. Apart from regret over choosing this neutral grey colour, and indecision over whether I like the diamond pattern or want to rip it all out and start again without it, the major problem came after finishing the front section last week and discovering that one end was about 4 inches longer than the other. This is what happens when your tension changes dramatically because you took so long to do it and also changed hooks partway through. Sigh.
In desperation I gave it a good hard blocking and am happy to report that the difference in length between the left and right sides is now more like half an inch. I can totally fix that during the seaming stage! Yay for growy merino yarn!
Of course that doesn’t help with the indecision about the diamond pattern, so to be perfectly honest the whole thing might get ripped out and done over again anyway. I’ve decided to do the back section without the diamond, see if the length works with the new length of the front, and make further decisions from there.
The other problem is the hips. Because the front and back sections are worked side-to-side there’s no obvious place to add increases for giant hips such as mine. As a top-down sweater knitter, this is a problem I’ve never encountered before. The current plan is to add a few shorter rows at the bottom of each side, and somehow try to stagger the row lengths to create a sweeping curve rather than a weird-looking step. We’ll see how that goes.
I should note, despite my self-inflicted problems with this pattern, it is very clearly written and a pleasure to work up once you get the hang of it.
My final WIP this week is almost complete. It’s a WordPress plugin intended to make it easy for craft bloggers to publish patterns on their blog. The patterns are treated as normal posts, so you can hide them behind a membership requirement or password if you prefer not to give them out for free. The first beta release will be quite basic and will only support knitting and crochet patterns but I hope to expand that list once the initial beta testing is over.
There’s a lot of work still to do and a lot of things I could do with feedback on, especially around styling the patterns in the front-end, so if you have a self-hosted WordPress blog and would like to test out such a thing please get in touch!