WIP Wednesday: Mega shawl action

I had this plan. The plan was to make my first shawl, because shawls look really fun to knit, but also to make a smallish version of it that could be worn like a cute little scarf with no oversized dangling corners to get trapped on door handles or whatever. This plan worked surprisingly well.

Unfortunately I’m a terrible influence on myself, and shortly after finishing the project these strange unwelcome urges started to creep up on me.

“Rip it out, make it bigger” a sly voice hissed in my ear, “it’ll be more impressive that way and cover more of your boobs when you wear that dress . . .”

The voice had a point, so after a week of putting it off and hoping the small version would grow on me, this happened:

I’m currently hoping to get this finished off (again) by the weekend, when I’ll turn it in for Detention in the Harry Potter house cup and make a proper start on my first class project.

In other news, this arrived yesterday. Yay!

new-yarn

There was a brief drama when I realised the mustardy yellow cotton was mercerised and I was expecting non-shiny (read the product description before you order online, protip), but it’s turned out well as I’ve swapped the projects planned for that and the purpley pink colour and to be honest I think they work much better in the new planned colours anyway.

More details on my epic summer knitting plans later, but for now I still have four WIPs and a frogged sweater to restart, so I think that’s enough to be getting on with for now!

(More WIP Wednesday action available for your pleasure at Tami’s Amis)

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on Twitter
I would like to receive

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Chris says:

Oh, new yarn!!! Doesn’t it just make you happy!!! I love that about knitting, that we can redo something without scrappy the entire thing. Doesn’t work the same way in sewing.

2. Winnie says:

Your shawl is/was gorgeous! I love the design, but understand wanting it a tad larger. I totally understand the snagging on door handles and what-nots…that made me giggle 🙂 I had made a poncho over the winter and loved the yarn I used so much that I had to frog it just to utilize the yarn in multiple projects…yeah, I’m weird like that ; )

Ahhhh new yarn….Gorgeous colors.

• Michelle says:

Hah, that *is* weird but I can see myself doing similar things in future. My budget can’t keep up with my dreams, probably a common affliction among the yarn-obsessed.

3. kim says:

I saw your beautiful shawl, then I read you have ripped it back……….I feel your pain, such a gorgeous pattern and lovely colour.

4. Beth says:

Been there, done that with more project than I like to admit. I am usually happier with the final, final FO, though. Thanks for sharing.

5. What a lovely shawl it was ! But sometimes it just happens, we know we could do it otherwise. Can’t wait to see the result !

6. Sarah says:

Aw it’ll be fab when it’s finished! The ‘more of my boobs’ part did make me wonder how many you have! Sorry couldn’t resist!

7. Leslie says:

That is a really pretty pattern. One of my first lace projects was a small blanket in yellow yarn–so nice to look at for spring!